Friday, July 9, 2010

Books.


When we first made the decision to adopt from Ethiopia I bought this book. There were chapters in this book that I could not read on my morning commute because they were too upsetting. (Bawling on the subway amongst commuters can be a little weird.) There are moments in this book that now, still, just thinking about bring tears to my eyes. But there is also a string of HOPE and so much love by one woman who by chance, in dealing with her own grief of losing a child to AIDS, stumbled into caring for orphaned children. Lots of them. It also has incredible amounts of history of Ethiopia as a country and how and why of some of the greatest catastrophes came to happen. I loved it. Could not put it down actually, even when I felt my heart would break into a million pieces. It is a must read.

I am currently reading this book. I am turning pages in awe of the information and so incredibly grateful I found this book NOW. I'm not that far into it, but I do know that it will become our go-to book for years to come.


I've also ordered a few children's books on adoption. Both for Davis and her little friends who are all very very interested in the whole idea of adoption. I'll give my reviews of those soon.

What are you reading?

2 comments:

  1. I've been in the process of reading Parenting Your Internationally Adopted Child and I too am so thankful to have stumbled upon it! Hope that your wait isn't too much longer:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you reminded me of "There Is No Me Without You." I have been meaning to read it for YEARS! SERIOUSLY! Then I just forgot about it. Since we just started on our process for Ethiopia it seems like perfect timing to ACTUALLY read it now! :o) Angel

    ReplyDelete