Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The light...

Sorry I dropped off the planet. But my mother always told me, "If you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all." Sigh. Seriously...the waiting...the waiting to go back to Ethiopia and bring our beautiful boy home, well, there are no words to describe the torture.

It's complicated, but we were given original dates to travel. We booked tickets. (Hello $500 in change fees) We let our jobs know. We got our babysitter another job for my maternity leave since my leave from work will not be paid. Yes, you read that correctly and I will save it for another post, or not...please re-read my Mother's words of wisdom above. And then everything stopped. The skinny is this: we are missing one piece of paper that in 5 weeks has not been able to manifest itself. I could give you the blow by blow but honestly it's hard for ME to wrap my head around and by the time I got it all out...you'd be asleep.

Every day for four weeks we've thought this is THE day. Only to be crushed when it was not. It is similar to that feeling when we were waiting for our referral and about 5pm without the phone ringing we would both let out a sigh that hurt. It is exactly like that if only that feeling could be multiplied by a million plus.

Yesterday after hearing bad news yet again I made a decision. It just is what it is. When our paperwork is complete we will go and bring our beautiful boy home. No more looking at our timeline and being sad that we have fallen into almost every pitfall that could cause a delay. That is all in the past. There is nothing that can be done about that now. Just as there is not really anything that we can do about this piece of paper that is the missing link.

So I've stopped waiting. It will come when it comes. Today when we got our daily "Nope, nothing." I just said ok and got back to work. No tears, no sigh, nothing. Maybe I'm just numb?

Tonight I looked at this picture and I thought THIS is the light. He is the the beautiful light at the end of the tunnel.



My sweet boy. Bekalu John. We are coming for you soon. And until we do, we're getting ready for you here. Your room that you will share with your sister is almost complete. She said tonight she wants to cover the wall by your crib with drawings just for you. She is very concerned that you do not have "your song" yet, so we worked on that while getting ready for school this morning. Sorry to say Mr. Bek, but your song will likely include your sister's name and probably something sparkly or pink or both. But them are the breaks when you have a big sister. There is more love growing than can be contained within these walls and I'm certain you've felt it covering you.

I'm only focusing on the things that are positive and the things I can control. Everything else is in the dark for now. And the light, the light is YOU and the love and joy I feel when I imagine you in your family's arms forever.

p.s. I reserve the right to change my mind about being positive if __ more weeks pass without said piece of paper. And yes, the number of weeks I can promise being positive without some movement is TBD. ;)

8 comments:

  1. One piece of paper?!!!!! Oh, how frustrating! Hugs to you! I cannot imagine how hard it must be. We are having a hard enough time with the delay and we haven't even seen our daughter's face in pictures much less held her in real life! Praying it is very, very soon that you guys can bring that precious, precious boy home (so his big sister can coat him in lip gloss and dress him in princess dresses -- you know it'll happen)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending love and hugs as always. Remember hang in there tough :) Do love this sweet photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2:00 am Thursday morning and your mama is awaking thinking of you. No, don't worry, you didn't WAKE me up it's just "that thing" I do :D I've spent a little time looking at all Bek's pictures and remembering our visit with him. I agree that he IS the light at the end of the tunnel. When he comes home to stay, we will live "happily ever after" (no matter how many princess dresses and/or lip gloss he has to endure,,,I <3 that thought) Bek's song will be the one that never ends, it just goes on and on and on,,, :D He is a lucky, beautiful boy to have a "sassy" big sister making plans for him,,, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel so helpless and frustrated over our wait and I don't even know what my daughter's face looks like - I can't imagine what you must be feeling! Oh but he is so cute!! I want to squeeze him! That piece of paper is coming soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sending so much love your way right now!! I know the longer this wait goes on the more agonizing it is. You are SO RIGHT to focus on the light at the end of the tunnel - your Bek!! Hugs!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh! So hard. We had a bit of dramam with our first adoption but we had not seen or held Bella. That would have made it that much harder. i am sorry and will be praying for you and your beautiful boy:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agony! For some of us our children just don't come easily, but they are so worth the labor when they finally arrive. Hoping all this ends for you soon...like TOMORROW! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. your lil boy is precious!

    am following your blog now : )

    ReplyDelete