Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Signs.

When Natalie called yesterday and told me our court date was December 22, first I was over the moon to have a court date and then I just couldn't believe the actual date.

Six years ago on December 22 we found out we were pregnant. I couldn't have asked for a more wanted Christmas present. Soon after we found out we would be having twins. Again, wow. Tragically Tess and Oliver were born way before their due date and were too tiny to survive. Heartbroken is the only word to describe that time in our lives.

For more than a year after Tess and Oliver died, I started each morning with one song...Sam Cooke's A Is Change Gonna Come.** It was literally the only thing that could get me up on some days. I had versions by several different artists and sometimes played all of them back to back. Aretha, Tina, and on and on. Sam's made me cry. Aaron Neville's version for some reason made me smile. I always ended my morning walking out the door to work with this version.

When we finally got pregnant again, with one miracle child, it was a very anxious time. I spent 8 weeks on modified bed rest, 16+ weeks of full on bed rest and she still arrived early...thankfully she was healthy and screaming and absolutely perfect.

The first time we took Davis upstate to our little place in the woods, look who showed up to say hello to their baby sister.



Yes, two fawns. Hi Tess and Oliver.

Since then I've gotten lots of signs from my babies. The past two Mother's Days it's come in the form of Aaron Neville's version of A Change Is Gonna Come. The first time the computer started playing the song, even though the screen was black and we had no control over it...yes, strange, but true. Last year we went to a Mother's Day brunch and the restaurant was playing it when we walked in...

I love getting signs from my babies. Yesterday's news of our court date being December 22 felt so fitting to me. Full circle I suppose.

This morning I went to u tube to search for something and guess what was my first recommended video? (I have never searched this song on u tube before) I had no idea Seal had done a cover of this song, but I think it's beautiful.




**I've since done a bit of research and discovered that A Change Is Gonna Come was written soon after the death of Sam's 18 month old son (who accidentally drowned) and his response to his feelings of discrimination and racism in America.

12 comments:

  1. I remember the double lily that bloomed and caused us to catch our breath <3<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me cry! Thank you so much for sharing! We'll be praying for y'all on December 22nd!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Heather! That is really special! Really something...

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow, how wonderful!! Congrats on your court date!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, I know these synchronicities keep me going - thanks for sharing these. I got the willies. The good ones. And with the reminder, I'm going to keep my eyes and ears open for my own hello's and reassurances. Congratulations and best wishes...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Heather, so poignant - so true. They are always giving us signs...
    Much, much love xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Life just blows me away sometimes. Seeing beauty in tragedy. Thank you so much for sharing. Can't wait for you to have that boy in your arms!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love hearing examples of God using details to show up in a big way! So glad you have those special signs for comfort. Praying for Dec. 22nd and can't wait to follow along as you bring home your new son!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your message about relating to the joys and sorrows. I envy you in that you see signs from your sweet babies. Maybe they're there for me put I can't see them through the pain yet. I know of other mommys that also see signs from their angels. Even though there is this hole in my heart, there is this other huge part of my heart waiting for that sweet daughter of mine in Ethiopia!

    Congratulations on your court date! I am anxious to read about your trip and homecoming with your sweet boy! Thank you so much for sharing.

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Heather, this post gave me chills and brought me to tears. I can't wait until your baby boy is with you and I know your other babies will always be loving and protecting your brood. Sending you loads of hugs and kisses from me and my Dae!

    XO,
    M

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that was beautiful. I've never heard that song again. It makes perfect sense that it touched your heart when the writer wrote it from the same place of grief, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete